The Celo Foundation, which has been touted as a Libra alternative, and which has recently been active on the African space, has given out grants to a tune of $700,000 to 13 projects that help expand the use of the Celo protocol.
Grants went to three types of projects:
- Those creating tools that expand access for needy communities
- Those educating the Celo community
- Those strengthening the Celo platform
Here is a list of the Celo grantees:
- Beam & Go empowers overseas Filipino worker to take care of their family’s needs
- eSolidar allows users to support the charities they love through charity shops, auctions, donations and volunteering
- LoveCrypto allows Brazilians to earn money by performing tasks, sharing contact information, answer surveys or giving feedback on a product
- Pay with Moon is a payments platform that allows you to pay with cryptocurrency anywhere instantly, securely and without fees
- SaldoMX helps migrant workers to support family members in Mexico by paying their bills directly
- Blockchain for Social Impact (BSIC) incubates, develops, and collaborates on blockchain products and solutions that can address social and environmental challenges across the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Chorus One builds technology replacing inefficient legacy structures based on coercion with an emerging open financial system facilitating efficiency and permissionless innovation. Their purpose is to maximize the choice and freedom for token holders and users of blockchain networks
- Forbole is a pioneer in Blockchain Fault Tolerence (BFT) staking and technology solution. Their purpose is to reimagine our social network through a blockchain-based social community and rewards
- Gitcoin is a community for developers to collaborate and monetize their skills while working on Open Source projects through bounties. Their purpose is to cultivate communities united by a mission to grow open sources
- Stake.fish is a staking service provider for blockchain projects. Their purpose is to help secure networks and helps coin holders earn rewards
- Figment is a blockchain infrastructure, software and staking provider. Their purpose offer institutional grade infrastructure, software & tools for token holders and stake-based blockchains
- Gauntlet is building a blockchain simulation and testing platform that leverages battle tested techniques from other industries to emulate interactions in crypto networks. Their purpose is to help make blockchain protocols and smart contracts safer and more trustworthy for users
- Chainsafe designs and develops scalable solutions for the decentralized web. Their purpose it to build the next phase of web3 infrastructure
While it seems like none of the above startups comes from Africa, it is nevertheless commendable to see solutions that are being developed in other emerging lands and that can fit the African market.
African projects are also encouraged to submit their application by May 19th, 2020. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis for this cycle.
Follow us on Twitter for latest posts and updates
Open a Paxful Bitcoin Trading Account today!