The newly re-elected President of Tanzania, John Magufuli, has vowed to increase and grow Internet usage and mobile phone use in the country over the next 5 years.
Speaking during the opening of the 12 Tanzanian Parliament since his re-election, the President said Tanzania cannot ignore the 4th Industrial Revolution (4IR) and it needs to tap into this space.
“Most of the activities around the world are now happening via communications technology. Tanzania has no choice but to be in step with these technological advancements.”
~ John Magufulu, President, Tanzania
In line with this, over the next 5 years, by 2025, Tanzania seeks to undertake the following:
- Increase Internet broadband access from 45% to 80%
- Growth Internet usage from 43% to 80%
- Grow mobile usage access across the country
- Set up post codes throughout the country
- Increase cyber security efforts
- Prioritize ICT innovation in the country
Tanzania is ranked about the top 10 wealthiest economies in Africa. The recent efforts to support and grow the ICT sector is expected to help more Tanzanians access digital services and further improve the countrys economy over the next 5 years.