Web3 Clubs, an initiative focused on championing Web3 developer education in Africa, has kicked off its second cohort in March 2023. The cohort seeks to train about 50 developers on how to build decentralized applications (dApps) on the Ethereum blockchain, and install several more Web3 Clubs in universities.
🤩 We’re pleased to launch the 2nd Web3Clubs Cohort starting March 13th.
Cohort 2 will train 100 developers to build on #Ethereum and launch 3 additional university clubs. pic.twitter.com/xmYaNj8yrZ
— Web3 Developer Clubs (@Web3Clubs) March 10, 2023
The importance of developer capacity building cannot be over-emphasized. Developers are critical to the growth and development of the Web3 ecosystem. However, the lack of skilled developers is a major bottleneck hindering the growth of the ecosystem on the African continent. Web3 Clubs is addressing this challenge in this second cohort expected to produce a new crop of developers who will be able to build innovative dApps that will solve real-world problems on the Ethereum blockchain.
The free online 2-month training programme runs from March 13 2023 to May 6 2023. Training will involve be a hybrid of online sessions and on-location bootcamps.
The Ethereum Smart Contracts Development Course is designed for software developers, blockchain enthusiasts, and anyone who wants to learn how to build decentralized applications on the Ethereum network. It is ideal for:
- Experienced developers who want to expand their knowledge and skills in blockchain technology and smart contracts
- Students or beginners who want to learn about Ethereum and smart contracts development from scratch
- Entrepreneurs or business professionals who want to explore the potential of Ethereum for their businesses
By the end of the course, participants are expected to have a comprehensive understanding of the following:
- The basics of Ethereum and how it works
- The Solidity programming language and how to write smart contracts using Solidity
- Advanced Solidity concepts such as modifiers, inheritance, and error handling
- Ethereum development tools and environment setup using Truffle and Ganache
- Interacting with smart contracts through web3.js library
- Advanced contract topics such as events and optimization
- Security and best practices for writing secure and efficient smart contracts
- Building and deploying a fully functional smart contract that solves a real-world problem
Web3 Clubs ran a successful first cohort in 2022 which saw 30 developers graduate as NEAR protocol developers.
At the same time, the initiative set up 4 official Web3 clubs in 4 Kenyan universities. Since graduating, the graduants have been active within the ecosystem participating in bootcamps and hackathons such as the NEAR Kenya Hackathon and SNI hackathon, where they showcased their skills and built innovative solutions.
The success of the first cohort is a testament to the importance of developer capacity building in the Web3 ecosystem. The second cohort is expected to build on this success and produce more skilled developers who will contribute to the growth and development of the ecosystem by building on world class blockchains.
Web3 Clubs is focused on championing Web3 acceleration and adoption in Africa, the next evolution of the internet that is no longer controlled by a few companies, but instead, decentralized and open. Web3 promises to bring about a more transparent, secure, and inclusive internet where everyone can participate and benefit.
With the success of the first cohort, there is no doubt that the second cohort will produce more skilled developers who will contribute to the growth and development of the Web3 ecosystem.
Follow Web3Clubs on Twitter for updates on its activities.