A new study has revealed that the on-chain activity for stablecoins has increased 800% in the last 12 months.
The stablecoin market cap currently stands at $6.7B as of April 2020.
According to the Token Analyst study, in the last 12 months, $290 billion worth of stablecoins were moved on-chain, a growth of 8.2 times in 12 months, from $6.2 billion in April 2019 to $50.9 billion in March 2020.
While Tether continues to be the most used stablecoin in 2020, the entire market is expanding rapidly, according to the study.
Here are highlights from the study:
- $290B worth of stablecoins were moved on-chain in the last 12 months
- 53% ($154B) of on-chain volume was due to interacting with centralized exchanges
- 10% ($29B) of on-chain volume was due to performing DeFi transactions
- USDT Tether token is the one most used by centralized exchanges, having 62% of on-chain volume
- DAI is the one most used by DeFi protocols, having 88% of onchain volume
Here is a breakdown of the average daily on-chain volume of ETH stablecoins below:
$PAX started the year with ~4K daily transactions but has averaged well over ~10K transactions in the last 30 days!
An unrelated study by Messari supports this.
The rise of $USDT and stablecoins on Ethereum:
🗓️ January 2019
ETH stablecoins: $835 million
USDT on Ethereum: $60 million
🗓️ April 2020
ETH stablecoins: $5.9 billion
USDT on Ethereum: $4.4 billion pic.twitter.com/1WhTaBSwUX
— Messari (@MessariCrypto) April 22, 2020
In an email to BitcoinKE, Token Analysts shows the following stats for this week:
- 10% increase in average daily inflow and outflow volumes for ETH, mostly due to a 20% increase in Ether prices this week
- $26 million of BTC went into exchanges
- $105 million of USDT went into exchanges
- $11 million of ETH came out of exchanges
- Average daily USDT volume increased by 23% crossing the $1 billion mark again
- A significant reduction in ERC-20 on-chain volume was observed due to a relative reduced interest in tokens
Based on these stats the report makes the conclusion that on average, people were buying ETH by selling USDT this week.
Follow us on Twitter for latest posts and updates
Open a Paxful Bitcoin Trading Account today!