Airtel Ghana, a subsidiary of Airtel Africa, is exiting the Ghanaian market after selling off 100% shareholding in its Ghana business.
The exit will see the Ghanaian government own 100% of the business, which includes acquiring the Airtel Ghana customers, assets, and agreed liabilities.
Airtel Ghana also runs the 3rd largest mobile money service in the country, AirtelTigo Money with over 400 retail outlets and over 2,000 network locations.
Airtel Africa is one of the largest telecom companies in Africa with sizable investments in the telecome industry primarily in East, Central, and West Africa.
The parent company, Bharti Airtel, ranks amongst the top 3 mobile service providers globally in terms of subscribers at about 403 million customers, according to 2019 stats.
The company offers the following services across the African continent:
- Mobile voice
- Mobile data services
- Mobile money services
Airtel Africa recently reported its 2020 half year revenue growth numbers across the continent as follows:
- 10.7% revenue jump to $1.8 billion
- 7% voice revenue growth
- 33.4% data revenue growth
- 30.4% mobile money revenue growth
- 20.2% growth in Nigeria
- 21.9% growth in East Africa
- 4.4% growth in Francophone Africa
- 28.3% overall operating profit jump
FREE REPORT DOWNLOAD
Some of the companies subsidiaries across Africa include:
- Airtel Kenya
- Airtel Malawi
- Airtel Uganda
Here is the full list of countries in Africa where the company operates:
Here are more stats about the mobile money space in Ghana:
- Ghana is one of the leading and fastest-growing mobile money markets in Africa
- 14.7 million Ghanaians have active mobile money accounts as of March 2020
- Nearly 1 in 5 Ghanaians are active users of mobile money
- Ghana has over 235, 000 active mobile money agents as of March 2020
- Mobile money interoperability increased by 358% in Q1, 2020
- P2P money transfers is the most popular mode of mobile money transfer
Currently the best mobile money services in Ghana are:
- MTN mobile money – The largest and oldest service in Ghana for the last 10 years
- Vodafone Cash – The 2nd largest mobile service in Ghana since 2015 with about 2 million registered subscribers
- AirtelTigo Money – The 3rd largest mobile money service in Ghana since 2017 with over 400 retail outlets.
Follow us on Twitter for latest posts and updates
Open a Paxful P2P Bitcoin Trading Account today!