There is not many places that you can go into and make payments directly in bitcoin.
This situation means as much as the leading cryptocurrency has grown in leap and bounds, there is still a lot of work to do in utilizing the unique benefits of the digital currency to enhance financial inclusion across the works.
Bitrefill, an international crypto payments company, has launched in South Africa to change this.
SEE ALSO: Xago Becomes the First Firm in South Africa to Implement the Management of Crypto Allowances
According to Bitrefill:
“Bitrefill’s ‘cryptonaut’ has now landed on the tip of Africa, bringing an exciting new range of products for local users to try out.“
Bitrefill says that it is focused on developing solutions that help holders to get to use their cryptocurrency, in contrast to the several solutions in South Africa and across the continent that help people to buy and invest in cryptocurrency.
Imagine being in a store, checking out your purchases, and paying in bitcoin.
Bitrefill has entered into partnerships that enable bitcoin owners in South Africa to pay for goods and services in bitcoin.
Some of the services included, to name a few, are:
- Brick and mortar retailers
- Online retailers
- Coffee shops
Here are a few examples of notables:
The platform allows you to buy gift cards (vouchers) with cryptocurrencies.
BitRefill currently supports:
Here are some of the features Bitrefill is making available to local users:
- A Bitrefill app (iOS or Android) where users purchase vouchers at the checkout area, functioning the same way a credit card would
- An internal wallet which eliminates the need for an on-chain transaction, which also eliminates the risk of on – chain delays
- The internal wallet allows for funds to be stored in Bitcoin as well as USD or EUR if you prefer to avoid volatility, but also allows for conversions from crypto to fiat and vice versa
- Bitrefill lets users to pay exact amount to the cent which is better than traditional gift cards where users have to pay slightly more for their purchase to ensure the bill is covered
- For non-crypto users, there is also the option to purchase gift cards using a credit card thus allowing even the no-coiners to purchase their favorite items with fiat currency
- Bitrefill is available globally, making it useful for travelers to spend internationally off a single platform