The government of Uganda has put out a National 4IR Strategy that looks at how the government looks to implement and adopt fourth industrial revolution (4IR) technologies in the country.
The strategy paper looks at how the government can leverage technologies such as blockchain, IoT, Big Data, AI, and others for growth, competitiveness, adn human development.
The paper highlights key objectives towards achieving these goals:
- Enhance the deployment and use of 4IR technologies in Uganda’s key economic sectors to drive productivity, value addition, and commercialization
- Build a strong, healthy, knowledgeable and productive population by leveraging emerging technologies
- Generate jobs through digitally traded exported services, automated financial services, and digitally augmented logistics and trade
- Leverage 4IR technologies in the establishment of smart cities and the management of critical resources
- Transform government performance and service delivery for improved standards of living, quality of life and well-being
- Strengthen and stimulate research and innovation in 4IR
- Support national security in the physical and digital worlds
The paper highlights critical enablers to make this possible, which includes:
- 4IR connectivity
- Agile governance
- Upskilled population
- Resource mobilization
In terms of the opportunities in the 4IR as it relates to blockchain in creating efficiencies in trade, the paper says:
“Uganda’s landlocked status incurs significant addtiional costs and time for trade relative to its peers. Uganda has made significant progress in reducing the time and cost of cross-border trade, however there remains room for improvement.
The success of the real-time electronic cargo tracking system (RECTS) by the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) illustrates how emerging technologies can be replicated by the private sector, however there is further opportunity in VR, AR, and blockchain.”
When it comes to enhancing medical supply chains, the paper says:
“Blockchain can enhance the integrity of medical supply chains and overcome current challenges of counterfeit medicines by facilitating proof of authenticity.”
Check out the full report here
FREE REPORT DOWNLOAD
Follow us on Twitter for latest posts and updates
Open a Paxful Bitcoin Trading Account today!