The total market cap for all cryptocurrencies increased by more than 3.3x in 2020 alone, according to the latest statistics.
At the time of this writing, the total cryptocurrency market cap stands at approximately $668.5 billion.
Below is a quick percentage breakdown of the total crypto market cap:
- Bitcoin – 66%
- Ether (ETH) – 11%
- Tether (USDT) – 3%
- Others – 18%
SEE ALSO: The Ethereum DeFi Ecosystem Accounted for 95% of All Dapp Transactions Volume in 2020, Latest Report Reveals
Much of this year’s market cap expansion can be attributed to Bitcoin as traders rushed to hedge against inflation resulting in Bitcoin repeatedly breaking new all-time highs in November and December 2020.
Below are some stats highlights from the report:
- Crypto market cap grew from $193 billion in January 2020 to $668 billion in December 2020
- Overall, Bitcoin added over $300 billion to its market cap in 2020
- Daily active Bitcoin addresses doubled in 2020
- The number of Bitcoin addresses holding at least 0.01BTC grew by over 700K
- Bitcoin’s velocity dropped by close to 10% on the year, and the amount of supply active within the last 2 years decreased by about 11%
- The total crypto marketcap increased by more than 3.3x in 2020 alone
- Total trading volume on Binance, the world’s leading crypto exchange by trading volume, reached its highest in record at $3 trillion
- The number of institutional clients on Binance grew by 46% in 2020 alone
- The all-time high 24-hour trading volume in 2020 on Binance was over $52.6 billion USDT
- The most popular crypto trading pairs by volume on Binance spot markets in 2020 were:
- BTC / USDT
- ETH / USDT
- ETH / BTC
- The total stablecoin supply increased by close to 20 billion in 2020
- Wrapped Bitcoin (wBTC) market cap rose from $4.2 million in January 2020 to $2.7 billion in December 2020 fueled by the DeFi frenzy
- DeFi interest surged from $700 million to $16 billion over the course of 2020 with wBTC accounting for a large share of locked assets
- On-chain validated wBTC stands at $2.7 billion at the time of this writing
- 2020 became the year when every single person who has ever bought Bitcoin was in profit
- Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) exploded in popularity in 2020 for the first time
- Ethereum 2.0 Beacon Chain launched in December 2020 – a first step towards the move from Pow to PoS Ethereum
- Over $1 billion has already been locked in Ethereum 2.0 deposit contract as of December 2020
- Asia continues to be the dominant crypto market consistently posting the highest trading volumes followed by Europe
The stats also reveal Africa’s position on the leading exchange by volume globally when it comes to P2P popularity.
The regions that topped the list based on P2P trading activity:
- Eastern Europe
The top regions for buying and selling crypto using fiat currencies via fiat gateways:
- The UK & Europe
- Russia & CIS
Crypto in 2020 would be incomplete without talking about Decentralized Finance (DeFi), and more so, Uniswap.
Uniswap, the Ethereum-based decentralized exchange, was the engine behind DeFi mania. Uniswap represents a new breed of automated marker maker (AMM) – decentralized exchanges that do not have order books or traditional buy and sell orders.
Uniswap trading occurs entirely on-chain, as opposed to centralized exchanges where it occurs off-chain. It also allows anyone to create a new token pair and immediately begin trading, which helped new DeFi tokens launch and scale quickly.
Total trading volume on Uniswap increased from about $1M a day in early June to close to $1B a day in the beginning of September. The big increase in on-chain trading brought on by Uniswap helped push Ethereum transaction fees to new all-time highs in August.
Overall, DeFi continues to grow and mutate as experimentation continues. With new money flowing into BTC and ETH, new DeFi tokens and applications may be soon to follow.
RECOMMENDED READING: Binance, The World’s Largest Exchange, Expected to Make $1 Billion in Profits in 2020, Says CEO
WATCH AND SUBSCRIBE TO WATCH LATEST CRYPTO NEWS UPDATES:
Start trading bitcoin today from as low as $15.
Open a Binance Bitcoin Trading Account to get started!