A smart contract is a self-executing contract with the terms of the agreement between buyer and seller being directly written into lines of code.
For instance, the Ethereum blockchain, which thrust the technology to the limelight, is a collection of code (its functions) and data (its state) that resides at a specific address on the blockchain.
Famed for adding functionality to the blockhain, here are some features of Ethereum:
- Permissionless: Anyone can write a smart contract and deploy it to the network
- Composability: Different smart contracts can interact with each other
- Immutable: The rules programmed into a smart contract can’t be changed once they are live on the blockchain
- Efficiency and Objectivity: As programs, smart contracts do what they are “told” or pe-programmed to do
- Trustlessness: They do away with the need to appoint an intermediary that both parties trust to ensure the terms of a contract pass as each party expects
How Smart Contracts Work
Smart contracts work by following simple “if/when…then…” statements that are written into code on a blockchain. These statements represent conditions and the action to take regarding a given issue.
A network of computers executes the actions when predetermined conditions have been met and verified. The blockchain is then updated when the transaction is completed.
For example, a smart contract can be programmed to release a new character in a video game once the player achieves a certain milestone. Another example would be the release of funds to a wallet once a particular condition is met etc.
These are just some of the ways smart contract technology is being applied in the DeFi and GameFi communities today.
The contracts are also being used in decision making whereby DAOs are coding their rules so that they execute when certain conditions are met – removing human interference from the decision-making process.
However, as the blockchain industry evolves, smart contracts are expected to get easier to create even for non-developers.
BTC address: 3CW75kjLYu7WpELdaqTv722vbobUswVtxT
ERC20 Address: 0xBc11cFa590C6CC465248D77d399C3106B881cC0E
SOL address: 9cC65AWFHj848kntcoyiT8av3jiRQEqyTTmBR1GvVUb
Join and interact with our Telegram community
Subscribe to our YouTube channel below for more updates: